The 17th century Weavers’ Cottages at the north end of the High Street were used to house weavers fleeing religious persecution from Flanders and to encourage them to stay in Corsham during a time when wool manufacture was a key trade in the town. Although there was little water in the town to power and drive cloth industry machinery, spinning and weaving continued to take place in the homes of Corsham workers throughout the 18th century.
In 1632 builder William Bollen extended the house at the far north end (No 112 High Street) for William Tedbury to live in, but the two bay windows illegally encroached into the town street. William Tedbury was fined 1 shilling for, “an encroachment of his house out in towne street”. William Tedbury died in 1647 and the house was subsequently occupied by John Wallis and later sold in 1735 to Richard Fowell, the Corsham Vicar. It was bought later in 1777 by his descendants.